Sunday, January 27, 2008

A really good day







We called the NICU this morning and got a really good report. They had lowered Landry's oxygen to 21%. The nurse told Blake that's what you and I breathe from the air, so she was down as low as possible. They still had the flow (how fast it blows into her lungs) at a 5, but expected to lower it also. Blake went to see her this morning while I stayed home with Camden to see if we could kiss and make up. After he clocked me in the face first thing this morning and made me cry (we think he was trying to take my glasses off), I thought I might better spend some one-on-one time with him. It turns out that once he was forced to hang out with me because I was the only person here he decided I really wasn't so bad. He was giving me kisses before too long, so I think he's forgiven me for leaving him.


Dr. Manchandia made her rounds while Blake was at the hospital and told him that they were going to remove Landry's oxygen tube and try to remove the feeding tube and give her a bottle in the evening. We made sure we were at the hospital for the 5 and 8 o'clock feedings to see if they would let us give her the bottle. Unfortunately, since they removed all the oxygen support her breathing was a little labored, so they didn't want to stress her further by removing the tube. They still plan to remove it at some point, but it will be one of the overnight feedings that we can't be there for. We were packing up getting ready to leave when I made the comment that I really couldn't wait to hold her. The nurse, Melissa, said "do you want to hold her?" I was shocked that she even asked the question, since at one point one of the nurses had asked us to not even touch her. She got out some blankets, bundled Landry up, made sure all her cords and tubes weren't compromised and then put her in my arms. It was really sweet. It really felt like I was holding her for the first time, since we held her for such a short time on Thursday. We both got to cuddle and rock her and her breathing immediately improved while she was in our arms. She just needed her mommy and daddy!


Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to hold her all we want. If the bottle feeding goes well and they get the IV out of her belly button like they plan we should be able to have a lot more cuddle time.


We'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

3 comments:

Haley said...

I am so glad that y'all got to hold her. I can't wait to get my hands on that little angel! I think she just needed a visit from her Aunt Haley! ;)

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I know exactly how you feel. I had to leave pal in the hospital and come home with out him. It just doesn't feel good to come home with out your baby! It's not easy is it? I had scottie at home to take care of as you have Camden. Steve didn't miss a feeding. I had some problems and couldn't even go back to the hospital. It broke my heart. But in the end all you want is a healthy baby and what ever it takes to get one I know you are willing to do. She's a cutie! Love ya, rose

Karla said...

she is absolutely beautiful!!! but with such good looking parents, and the most handsome big brother -- how could she be anything but gorgeous?!?!