Friday, January 25, 2008

Almost 24 hours old

We went up to the NICU about 7:30 this morning to see Landry. The nurse said she had a pretty good night. There's been no huge improvement, but there's also been no decline, so we'll take that as good news. The nurse asked us not to touch her because her breathing became more labored when she was stimulated, so I just got as close to her as I could and we had a little conversation. Blake was watching the monitor while we were having our girl talk and her respiratory rate consistently stayed between 30 and 50 almost the entire time. When the nurses came back in it spiked back over 100. I think she doesn't care for her Friday nurse much! She probably overheard the lady telling us not to touch her! I commented on how hard it was not to touch her and she decided we could hold her head, but that we still shouldn't stroke her or anything that might get her excited. I understand the need for her to stay calm, but it just seems to me that being in her mother's or father's arms might be beneficial. But what do I know?
She was apparently giving them hell this morning for not feeding her yet, which is what got her all excited in the first place. They expect her to start trashing her living arrangements soon and a that point they'll give in and let her eat. They'll have to feed her through the tube going down into her stomach until she's strong enough to suck. She's getting sugar and fluids through her IV, so she's not actually starving, she just thinks she is.
I'm going to eat my breakfast now, but seeing as how all we have to do is visit the NICU and sit around and look at each other, I'll likely be posting pretty often.

4 comments:

Haley said...

You just update away!

Unknown said...

If you update constantly then it will justify me constantly hitting the refresh page button on your blog. I'm so happy for you and Blake and she is just adorable! I'll be thinking about you guys and sending good vibes out to Miss Landry.

Christina said...

congratulations! we are praying for little landry. i know its hard not being able to hold your new precious one but she knows you are there... she'll be in your arms in no time!

Christina said...

congratulations! we are praying for little landry. i know its hard not being able to hold your new precious one but she knows you are there... she'll be in your arms in no time!