Saturday, April 12, 2008

It could be any of us


I'm sure that most of you who are from Shreveport have heard about little Ethan Powell. He was born three months before Camden, and at his 2 month well baby check his family learned that he had leukemia. Until that visit he was seemingly a healthy baby boy. Ethan died a week ago, and today is the first day that I've been brave enough to read his family's posts at www.ethanpowell.com. I've heard from friends and family how hard it was to read, and being a new parent, like the Powells were/are, made it too difficult for me to even consider reading. After reading a post on my cousin Mauri's blog about a friend of his having a son recently diagnosed with cancer, I felt like I needed to put myself in these parents' shoes. I went back to April 4th and started reading at the most grim point in these people's 14 month battle. I cannot imagine having to fight so hard to keep one of my children with me - and then losing the war. Ethan's dad didn't shower for 3 days after his son died because he didn't want to wash the scent from the last time he would ever hold his son off of him. It's heartbreaking to consider, but that could easily be any of us - and unfortunately it could happen at any time. Ethan's parents are 100% committed to doing all they can to find a cure for childhood leukemia. Next week they will announce The Ethan Powell Foundation to raise money to help find a cure. We intend to make a donation and I challenge any of you who are able to do the same. When we get more info I'll post a link for donations. Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers, because the most precious thing any of us have ever been given has just been taken away from them.

1 comment:

Haley said...

We do need to remember this family, now more than ever. They have to return to a home that they haven't known for 14 mths and return to a "normal" life- without their child. My prayer for them is for God to keep their marriage strong and intact. Thanks for posting on this, Carrie. I haven't been able to do it. Never have I felt more connected to a family that I have never even met.