Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sometimes you've gotta play wounded







Camden's still doing kind of stinky - literally and figuratively. We were heading into town yesterday when I heard him grunt. I looked back and realized what was going on and before I knew it I was overcome with a terrible stench. I had to open the sunroof to let it out! We stopped by Blake's office where I found he'd had a HORRIBLE blowout. The first three pictures are what resulted. Who said chucks, a polo and a diaper couldn't be stylish? In developmental news, he's getting very interested in where things go. He took the markers out of Blake's easel and put them back where they belonged several times.


On the way home I was talking to a friend about the stinky blowout we'd experienced and she said Camden's symptoms sounded a lot her son's when he had rotavirus. After doing some research I decided she was right - diarrhea with or without vomiting, stomach cramps and a low-grade fever. I didn't realize they could have only one of the symptoms. We thought for sure he'd feel bad if it was anything other than lactose intolerance. Luckily we had already taken him off of milk when the diarrhea started, because the only thing that helps rotavirus is a diet of bananas, rice cereal, apples and toast, and NO dairy products. We've been doing our best not to let him get dehydrated, but he's not a fan of Pedialyte. Fortunately he likes to drink water throughout the day, and we've been able to sneak a little in his water. We're not thrilled about the rotavirus, but it will be easier to deal with than lactose intolerance.




Today he got his second symptom, the low-grade fever. He really tries to feel good, but sometimes he just gets overtaken by the titty-baby-monster. He'll play for a while and appear to be in a great mood and then it just turns to whining and tears. We took a diaper by the pediatrician's office today, so hopefully tomorrow we'll have confirmation of our home-diagnosed illness. We've been washing our hands like crazy trying to avoid passing anything along to Landry.


In good news, the diaper rash is much, much better. I guess using 85 different products on his rear has really paid off!

4 comments:

Libby said...

When I had it Mama got too while I was in the emergency room. Then Aunt Misty came to visit me in the hospital and got it too.

Pigtails and Puppy Dog Tales said...

Whatever it may be, Joshua still seems to be O.K. I don't think I brought it home Thursday, so that's a good thing for us. On the other hand for y'all diarrhea always seems neverending. Hope he get's to feeling better very soon.

The Wilsons said...

Mid City Ped. also told us to give Landon "Yo Baby!" brand yogurt when he had rotavirus. It has some sort of culture that fights diarrhea. That was definitely the GROSSEST week of my life!!

jennifer said...

Yo Baby! banana is the bomb. As is the blueberry!