Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A sad, sad day


I am so sad today. Wendy's dad, Ray McKibben, passed away yesterday. He went to school with my dad, so I'm going to guess that he's the same age - 57. Not that there's ever a perfect age to die, but 57 is way too young.
-
Wendy and I met in sixth grade, but didn't become friends until 7th grade. (She had a weird haircut in sixth grade!) Mr. McKibben called me Other Daughter and I called him Other Father. He has been a part of my life for many years. He did an excellent job of grilling Blake before we got married to make sure he was good enough for me!
-
He was truly a neat, neat person. He was loud. He was talented. He was brilliant. (He was also often cranky and sometimes downright abrasive, but that's neither here nor there!) The thing I know most about Other Father is that he loved his family beyond measure. He will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to Other Mother, Wendy, Hillary, Jason and their families.
-
(By the way, I stole this picture from Wen's facebook page.)

No comments: